National Crime; Criminal Information System
The project would act as a computerized index of crime and criminal justice information (i. e. – criminal record history information, fugitives, stolen properties, wanted and missing persons) and will be available to Federal Police, Regional state Police commissions, Federal Ministry of Justice, Federal Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission, Federal Prison Administration, Authorized law enforcement agencies and other criminal justice organizations and it will be operational 24 hours a day.The purpose for maintaining the NCIS is to provide a computerized database for ready access by the Federal Police making an inquiry and for prompt disclosure of information in the system from other criminal justice agencies about crimes and criminals. This information assists authorized agencies in criminal justice and related law enforcement objectives, such as apprehending fugitives, locating missing persons, locating and returning stolen property, generating statistical data on crimes and criminals as well as in the protection of the law enforcement officers encountering the individuals described in the system.
The project would be involved in eliciting the requirements from Federal Police, Regional State Polices, Ministry of Justice and Other Stakeholders, understanding those requirements and developing a prototype of the application that we have planned to build. The NCIS project will be completed in two years. We plan to achieve maximum automation of crime Investigation process and try to minimize the manual intervention. The system will have a common database in which authorized officers can easily find crime and criminal information anywhere in the country. BackgroundEthiopia has an administrative structure of federal system in which states forming the federation govern themselves through their own legislative, judiciary and executive organs. There are nine regional states and two city administrative councils that form the Government. This necessitates a high degree of coordination among the Federal Government, states and other institutions towards achieving national objectives.
The Federal Police which is one of the major law enforcement bodies is expected to play a pivotal role in the administration of Crime Prevention and Investigation.However, the absence of a well organized National Crime Information system has remained a major challenge to the Organizations in Criminal Justice to carryout their duties and responsibilities successfully. This reality makes it mandatory to create and develop a well defined and systematized crime data collection method and the establishment of a sustainable Crime Information System that would be used as inexhaustible source of data/information for purposes of crime prevention, criminal investigation, policy formulation etc.
The Project will introduce a new Information System; with the following features:
- It records and manages the national crimes and criminals information.
- Manages and Records missing, wanted persons and fugitives.
- Locating stolen properties and missing persons.
- Searching and generating statistical report on crimes and criminals.
- Providing information on missing persons and stolen properties for further investigation. Outcomes / Expected Benefits
- The NCIS will make available a variety of records to be used for law enforcement and security purposes.These records are made up of a variety of forms of personal and property records.
- The information in the NCIS assists authorized agencies in criminal justice objectives, such as apprehending fugitives, locating missing persons, locating and returning stolen property, as well as in the protection of the law enforcement officers encountering the individuals described in the system.
- The system will have crime database information which will be centrally available and shared among stakeholders. Make available statistical data on crimes and criminals that would help in providing education to the public on major crimes
- Researchers and study centers will have access to the database information relevant for their purpose.
- Make available Statistical data on crimes that would help in revising existing laws and crime prevention directions
- Easily allocate data on criminals, missing persons, and lost properties.
- Formulates means and methods of criminal statistical data collection, organization , analysis and interpretation necessary to study the causes of crimes and design methods of crime prevention
- Craft a favorable and secure agreement between the Department and the selected vendor.
The absence of a centrally shared information system on crimes and criminals is a major problem for all criminal justices bodies of the country to easily allocate wanted persons, locate missing properties and have a realistic statistical data on major crimes. This reality makes it mandatory to create and develop a well defined and systematized crime data collection method and the establishment of a sustainable Crime Information System that would be used as inexhaustible source of data/information for purposes of crime prevention, criminal investigation, policy formulation etc.
The following are the tangible deliverables for this project:
- Preliminary Project Plan
- Requirements Elicitation
- Requirements Analysis
- Architectural Design
- Object/Component Design
- Final version of all documents
- Intangible deliverables
- Project Boundaries
- The project is limited to handle crime and criminal related information.