Statistics for management
Basic definitions and rules for probability, conditional probability, independent of events, Baye’s theorem, random variables, Probability distributions: Binomial, Poisson, Uniform and Normal distributions.
Sampling distribution and estimation
Introduction to sampling distributions, sampling techniques, sampling distribution of mean and proportion, application of central limit theorem. Estimation: Point and Interval estimates for population parameters of large sample and small samples, determining the sample size.
Testing of hypothesis
Hypothesis testing: one sample and two samples tests for means and proportions of large samples (z-test), one sample and two sample tests for means of small samples (t-test), F-test for two sample standard deviations, Chi-square test for single samples standard deviation. Chi-square tests for independence of attributes and goodness of fit.
Sign test for paired data. Rank sum test: Mann – Whitney U test and Kruskal Wallis test. One sample run test, rank correlation.
Correlation, regression and time series analysis
Correlation analysis, estimation of regression line.Time series analysis: Variations in time series, trend analysis, cyclical variations, seasonal variations and irregular variations.
- Levin R. I. and Rubin D. S. , “Statistics for management”, 7th edition, Prentice Hall of India Pvt. Ltd. , New Delhi, 2001.
- Aczel A. D. and Sounderpandian J. , “Complete Business Statistics”, 5th edition, Tata McGraw – Hill Publishing Company Ltd. , New Delhi, 2004.
- Anderson D. R. , Sweeney D. J. and Williams T. A. , “Statistics for business and economics”, 8th edition, Thomson (South – Western) Asia Pte. Ltd. , Singapore, 2002.
- Levine D. M., Krehbiel T. C. and Berenson M. L. , “Business Statistics: A First Course”, Pearson Education Asia, 2nd edition, New Delhi, 2002.
- Hooda R. P., “Statistics for Business and Economics”, 2nd edition, Macmillan India Ltd. , 2001.
- Morse L. B. , “Statistics for Business and Economics”, HarperCollins college Publishers, New York, 1993.
- Bowerman B. L., Connel R. T. O’ and Hand M. L. , “Business Statistics in Practice”, 2nd edition, McGraw-Hill / Irwin, 2001.
- Gupta S. C. and Kapoor V. K. , “Fundamentals of MathematicalStatistics”,Sultan Chand & Sons, New Delhi, 2002.
Economic foundations of business environment
Nature and scope of macro economic issues
Macro economic variables – national income, investment, savings, employment, inflation, balance of payment, exchange rate – circular flow of income – national income concepts – measurement of national income – role of economic planning – Indian economic planning.
Analysis of national income
Determination of national income – Keynesian perspective – multiplier– accelerator– business cycle – the role of fiscal policy – Indian fiscal policy and experiences.
Analysis of money market
Demand and supply of money – money market equilibrium – the role of money- monetary policy– Indian perspectives.
Integration of commodity and money market
Analysis of inflation and unemployment – the role of economic policies – Indian experiences.
Analysis of external sector
International trade – trade multiplier – linkage model – the role of trade policy – analysis of performance of Indian economy in external sector.
- Ahuja H. L. , Economic Environment of Business, Macroeconomic analysis, S.Chand & Company Ltd. , New Delhi, 2005.
- Gupta, G. S. Macroeconomics, Theory and Applications, Tata McGraw-Hill publishing company Ltd. , New Delhi, 2001.
- Samuelson, Paul A. , and Nordhaus, W. D. , Economics, Tata McGraw-Hill publishing company Ltd., New Delhi 2004.
- Ruddar Datt and K. P. M. Sundharam, Indian Economy, S. Chand & Company Ltd. , New Delhi, 2003.
- Government of India (Ministry of Finance), Economic Survey (Latest issue), New Delhi.
Organizational behaviour unit i focus and purpose
Definition, need and importance of organizational behaviour – nature and scope – frame work – organizational behaviour models.
Personality – types – factors influencing personality – theories – learning – types of learners – the learning process – learning theories – organizational behaviour modification.
- Attitudes – characteristics – components – formation – measurement.
- Perceptions – importance – factors influencing perception – interpersonal perception.
- Motivation – importance – types – effects on work behavior.
Organization structure – formation – groups in organizations – influence – group dynamics – emergence of informal leaders and working norms – group decision making techniques – interpersonal relations – communication – control.
Leadership and power
Meaning – importance – leadership styles – theories – leaders Vs managers – sources of power – power centers – power and politics.
Dynamics of organizational behaviours
Organizational climate – factors affecting organizational climate – importance. Job satisfaction – determinants – measurements – influence on behavior.Organizational change – importance – stability Vs change – proactive Vs reactive change – the change process – resistance to change – managing change. Organizational development – characteristics – objectives – team building. Organizational effectiveness – perspective – effectiveness Vs efficiency – approaches – the time dimension – achieving organizational effectiveness.
- Stephen P.Robins, Organisational Behavior, Prentice Hall of India, 9th edition, 2001.
- Hellriegel, Slocum and Woodman, Organisational Behavior, South-Western, Thomson Learning, 9th edition, 2001.
- Schermerhorn, Hunt and Osborn, Organisational behavior, John Wiley, 7th edition, 2001.
- Jit S. Chand, Organisational Behavior, Vikas publishing House Pvt. Ltd. 2nd edition, 2001.
- Fred Luthans, Organisational Behavior, McGraw Hill Book Co. , 1998.
- New Strom & Davis, Organisational behaviour, McGraw Hill, 2001.
- Jaffa Harris and Sandra Hartman, Organisational Behaviour, Jaico, 2002.
- Communication skills unit i communication in business
Systems approach, forms of business communication, management and communication, factors facilitating communication.
Interpersonal perception, selective attention, feedback, variables, listening, barriers to listening, persuasion, attending and conducting interviews, participating in discussions, debates and conferences, presentation skills, paralinguistic features, oral fluency development.
Business letter. Memos, minutes, agendas, enquiries, orders, sales letters, notice, tenders, letters of application, letter of complaints.
Format, Choice of vocabulary, coherence and cohesion, paragraph writing, organization.
Project proposal, project reports, appraisal reports.
- Sharan J. Genrson and Steven M. Gerson – “Technical Writing – Process and Product” – Pearson Education – 2000.
- Raymond V. Lesikar, John D. Pettit and Mary E. Flatley – Lesikass Basic Communication Tata McGraw Will 8th Edition – 1999.
- Stevel. E. Pauley, Daniel G. Riordan – Technical Report Writing Today – AITBS Publishing & Distributors, India 5th edition – 2000.
- Robert L. Shurter, Effective letters in business Thrid Ed. 1983.
- McGraith – Basic Managerial Skills for all Prentice Hall of India – 6th Edition 2002.
- Halliday, M. A. Ky R. Hasan, Cohesion in English, Longman, London 1976.
Accounting for management
- Introduction to Financial, cost and management accounting, generally accepted accounting principles, conventions and concepts. The balance sheet and related concepts, the profit and loss account and related concepts/ Introduction to inflation accounting, introduction to human resources accounting.
- Accounting Mechanics – Basic records, preparation of financial statements, revenue recognition and measurement, matching revenues and expenses, Inventory pricing and valuation, Fixed assets and depreciation accounting, intangible assets.
- Analysis of financial statements – Financial ratio analysis, cash flow and funds flow statement analysis
Cost accounting and management accounting
- Cost Accounts – Accounting for manufacturing operations, classification of manufacturing costs, Accounting for manufacturing costs. Cost Accounting Systems: Job order costing, Process costing, Activity Based costing, Costing and the value chain, Target costing,
- Cost-Volume – Profit Analysis, Standard cost system.
- Management Accounting: Relevant Cost for decision making, Incremental analysis, Special order decision, Production constraint decisions, Make or buy decisions, sell, scrap or rebuild decisions, Joint product decision, Responsibility accounting and performance evaluation. Budget: As a planning and control tool.
- Y. Khan & P. K. Jain – Management Accounting, Tata McGraw Hill publishing company Ltd. , 2004.
- A. Sahaf – Management Accounting (Principles & Pratice): Vikas Publishing House Pvt. Ltd. , New Delhi, 2004.
- S. N. Pillai & Bagavathi – Managemnt Accounting S. Chand & Co.Ltd. , New Delhi, (2002).
- Narayanaswamy – Financial Accounting – A managerial perspective Prentice Hall India Pvt. , Ltd. , New Delhi.
- Bhattacharya S. K. John Dearden Accounting for Managemnt text and cases – Vikas publishing house, New Delhi, 2000.
- Charles T. Hornegren – Introduction to management accounting Prentice Hall, New Delhi, 2001.
Legal aspects of business unit i mercantile and commercial law
The Indian Contract Act 1872 – Essential of a valid contract, Void Agreements, Formation of a contract, performance of contracts, breach of contract and its remedies, Quasi contracts.The Sale of Goods Act 1930 – Sales contract, transfer of title and risk of loss, warranties in sales contract, performance of sales contracts, conditional sales and rights of an unpaid seller.
Negotiable instruments Act 1881 – Nature and requisites of negotiable instruments, transfer of negotiable instruments and liability of parties, enforcement of secondary liability, holder in due course, special rules for cheques and drafts, discharge of negotiable instruments. Agency – Nature of agency – How created, Agent’s authority and liability of principal and third party: Rights and duties of principal, agents and Third party, liability of principal or agents torts, termination of agency.
Major principles – Nature and types of companies, Formation, Memorandum and Articles of Association, Prospectus, Power, duties and liabilities of Directors, winding up of companies, Corporate Governance.
An Overview of Factories Act, Payment of Wages Act, Payment of Bonus Act, Minimum Wages Act, Industrial Disputes Act.
Income tax act and sales tax act
Corporate Tax Planning, Overview of Sales Tax Act, including Value Added Tax.
Consumer protection act and introduction of cyber laws.
- D. Kapoor, Elements of mercantile law – Sultanchand and company, New Delhi – Latest edition.
- Sen & Mitra – Commercial and Industrial law – The world press, Pvt. Ltd. , Calcutta – 1996.
- P. S. Gogna, Mercantile Law, S. Chand & Co. Ltd. , New Delhi, 1999.
- Dr. Vinod K.Singhania Direct Taxes Planning and Management (Latest edition). Respective Bare Acts.