Study Questions on Eveline for Yud Bet Five test Thursday, December 26, 2002 Some of the questions below are the ones that will appear on your exam, so study them well. (NOTE: you will NOT be allowed to have the text in front of you during the test, so make sure that you study beforehand! )
- Why didn’t Eveline go with Frank? Was it a rational decision or more of an emotional response?
- What do you think about her decision?
- What do you think the writer thinks about her decision?
- Where in the story is Eveline compared to an animal? Why does the writer compare her to an animal?
- After reading Eveline, what impression do you get of James Joyce’s attitude towards the Catholic Church? Find evidence in the story to prove this.
- Discuss the motif of dust which pervades the story.
- What does the dust symbolize?
There are two points of view present in this story: that of Eveline herself and that of the narrator. How can we differentiate in the story between these two points of view? What is the purpose of having these two points of view?
Describe Eveline’s state of mind at the port. What descriptions indicate this most clearly?